4 November 2015
It’s the season of caring, sharing and celebrating and the art event of the year embodies that in the most beautiful way. At the Nando’s Broken Monsters Charity Art Exhibition you can buy one amazing original framed South African artwork as a gift for a loved one (yourself included in that description) for R1 500, and that entire amount will be used to give 150 amazing illustrated South African children’s books to children in need in South Africa. That alone could make this the most meaningful art exhibition of the year, but the layers of innovative creative collaboration and generosity that lie behind and ahead of this exhibition make it one you can only fall in love with.
Click here to read more.
The back story
The exhibition is the second collaborative labour of love of between award-winning, internationally bestselling South African novelist, the sassy Lauren Beukes, and her friend, cutting-edge Cape Town-based curator Jackie Lang. It follows the highly successful formula of their first 2013 exhibition, Shining Girls (named for Beukes’ massively popular 2013 novel of the same name that topped best-seller lists the world over, racked up awards and saw Leonardo DiCaprio snap up the TV production rights). The opening of the Shining Girls exhibition saw visitors in Cape Town queuing around the block hours before the event and was sold out in 20 minutes, raising R100 000 for Rape Crisis in Cape Town.
Follow Lauren Beukes imaginative international adventures!
- Website: www.laurenbeukes.com
- Twitter: @laurenbeukes
- Facebook: Lauren Beukes
- Tumblr: laurenbeukes.tumblr.com
About Nando’s Broken Monsters Charity Art Exhibition
This second exhibition sees the duo and their creative collaborators upping the ante, adding some flame-grilled peri-power by teaming up with Nando’s Art Initiative to launch the Nando’s Broken Monsters Charity Art Exhibition in Cape Town on Thursday 12 November and in Johannesburg on Thursday 26 November. Echoing their approach to the Shining Girls exhibition, pages ripped from Lauren’s latest recently launched and acclaimed thriller Broken Monsters provide the canvases for the artworks. Lauren and Jackie have approached celebrated and emerging South African artists illustrators, street artists, photographers and designers to make an affordable original artwork by customizing a page from Broken Monsters in whatever way they like, and to generously donate the artwork to the exhibition raise funds to put beautifully illustrated books in children’s hands. The response from the creative community, inspired to give generously of their time and creative gifts to create artworks that will be sold to put awesome books in children’s hands, has been remarkable. Artists include Brett Murray, Frank van Reenen, Zwelethu Machepha, Kilmany-Jo Liversage, Lien Botha, Liza Grobler, Matthew Hindley, Mia Widlake, Paul Senyol, Peter Eastman, Sanell Aggenbach artists from Nando’s Art Initiative, and more.
Follow the lead up with Lauren Beukes, Jacki Lang and Nando's!
The beautiful story behind the awesome children’s books
‘Unpublisher’ BookDash believes every child in South Africa should own 100 books of their own by the age of five. In South Africa, that means giving 600 million free books to children who would never be able to afford them. BookDash gathers talented volunteer writers, illustrators and editors to team up on Book Dash Day to create exceptional illustrated children’s books that are set in South Africa. The volunteer set up cuts out the publishers’ costs, making the books highly affordable as the only cost is printing. Each book is beautifully printed in full colour with a gorgeous cover, and available in each of South Africa’s official languages. The books are also freely available online in digital format, and anybody can sponsor a print run to put finished books in children’s hands. Each guest that buys a R1500 artwork from the Broken Monsters Charity Art Exhibition sponsors the print run and distribution costs of 150 children’s books. A children’s book is an imaginative gift that keeps on giving, warming the heart, firing up the mind and opening up doors into rich imaginative worlds.
Nando's is a big believer in creative collaboration for the greater good, and is thrilled to be a part of this awesome initiative that harnesses all sorts of incredible South African talent in a way that keeps on giving and feeding creativity.
Discover the inspirational BookDash love!
- Twitter: @bookdash
- Facebook: Book Dash
- Instagram: BookDash
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How the exhibition works
Different artworks will be on exhibition at each secret venue, which will be announced online a few days before the event on. Each event will begin at 6pm. Each visitor may only buy one artwork. The artist of each work remains a mystery until the artwork is sold.
Join the exhibition walkabout in Cape Town on Saturday 14 November and in Johannesburg on Saturday 28 November from 10.30am to 11.30am. Follow great stories about this exhibition and other Nando’s Art Initiative highlights here.
Terms & Condition's for Broken Monster competition to win a piece of Art:
- This Promotional Competition is organised by Chickenland (Pty) Ltd (the “Promoter”).
- The promotional competition is open to any employee, director, member, partner, agent or consultant or any person directly or indirectly who controls or is controlled by the Promoter and/or immediate family members of any employee, director, member, partner, agent or consultant of or person indirectly or directly in control or controlled by the Promoter, their advertising agencies, advisers, dealers, suppliers and franchisees, its affiliates and/or associated companies (“Disqualified Persons”).
- By entering the promotional competition, all participants and winners agree to be bound by these rules which will be interpreted by the Promoter, whose decision regarding any dispute will, subject to any consumer rights under the Consumer Protection Act, be final and binding. The Promoter reserves the right to amend, modify, change, postpone, suspend or cancel this Competition and any prizes (which have not yet been subject to a draw), or any aspect thereof, without notice at any time, for any reason which the Promoter reasonably deem necessary.
- The promotional competition commences on 29 October 2015 and ends on 25 November 2015 both days inclusive. Entries must be received no later than 23h00 on 25 November 2015.
- There are 2 prizes (“the Prizes”) consisting of two framed African artworks from the Nando’s Broken Monsters Charity Art Exhibition collection.
- To stand a chance of winning one of the 2 Prizes, participants must send an SMS with his/her name, email address and one of the following two hashtags #NandosART or #BrokenMonsterArt to 45227. SMS’s are charged at R1 and NO FREE SMS’s apply.
- The Promoter will, on the 4th of December 2015, conduct a random draw from all the entries received to determine the 2 potential winners (‘Draw Date”). In order for an entry to be confirmed as valid, Promoter will email the potential winners on 4 December 2015 and conduct a Promotional Competition verification process.
- Participants whose entrees have been drawn and have been confirmed as valid after the verification process, will be notified by email on 10 December 2015 and declared a winner.
- Should the winner be unable to receive the Prize on the delivery date determined by Promoter, the winner will be deemed to have forfeited the Prize.
- Promoter shall not be responsible for any changes, substitution, withdrawal, cancellation or postponement of any part of the itinerary beyond its reasonable control. Promoter is not obliged to award any other prizes in lieu if any such event is cancelled, postponed, substituted, withdrawn, changed or unavailable.
- Participants may enter the Promotional Competition as many times as they wish.
- Entries which are unclear, illegible, are submitted via an incorrect entry mechanism or contain errors or from Disqualified Persons will be declared invalid.
- If the Promoter is unable to reach any person or complete the verification process after drawing his/her entry for whatsoever reason, such person will be disqualified and the draw of a replacement entry shall take place in the same manner as the first draw.
- The Prizes are neither transferable nor redeemable for cash and the Promoter is not liable for any defect in the Prizes. The Promoter reserve the right to substitute Prizes with any other prize of comparable commercial value.
- Should any dispute arise in relation to the interpretation of these competition rules, the Promoter’s decision shall be final and no correspondence shall be entered into.
- All participants and the winners, as the case may be, indemnify the Promoter, its advertising agencies, advisers, nominated agents, suppliers and franchisees, its affiliates and/or associated companies against any and all claims of any nature whatsoever arising out of and/or from their participation in any way howsoever in this promotional competition (including, as a result of any act or omission, whether as a result of negligence, misrepresentation, misconduct or otherwise on the part of the Promoter and/or use of the Prizes).
- The Promoter will require the winners to complete and submit an information disclosure agreement and indemnification to enable the Promoter to ensure compliance with these rules and the Consumer Protection Act 68 of 2008. Should any winner refuse or be unable to comply with this rule for any reason, such winner will be deemed to have rejected the Prize and it shall revert back to the Promoter.
- The Promoter may require the winners be identified, photographed and the photographs published in printed media, or to appear on radio and television, when accepting their Prizes and/or after having received their Prizes. The winners will be given the opportunity to decline to the publication of their images and to participate in the Promoter’s marketing material in so far as it relates to the Promotional Competition.
- All queries in connection with this Promotional Competition should be directed to the Nando’s Art Initiative Manager, Kirsty Niehaus, 011 216 3300
- A copy of the competition rules is available at no cost to the participants and can be downloaded in printable form from www.nandos.co.za/news.